Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:53:25 +0200
From:      jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Leased line PPP operation

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the FreeBSD-machine to have a leased line to my
internet-provider. The machine has to run ppp for this line.
Here's what I've done:

made the /etc/ppp/options file:
crtscts
defaultroute
lock
passive

I've set up the modem for a two-wire leased line and async operation. But
when the system boots pppd is started and I can see the DTR-light on the
modem. The modem goes off hook and sends the handshake. But then I see the
TXD-light flash and the modem goes on hook imediately. After appr. 15 secs
it goes off hook again and handshakes but then again: TXD and on-hook. After
three times the modem tries again and goes on handshaking.
But now no more TXD lights, and so it doesn't go on-hook again.
Great, not? no NOT!
I get the message from pppd:
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests.

My question is: how can I configure pppd for leased-line operation. I've
read all the docs but don't seem to get it. I don't want any timeouts with
the requests: just keep trying!! It's a leased line it will connect
eventually (i hope :-)

If anyone knows how to configure pppd for leased-line or have any experience
with this please let me know!!

Bye!