Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      binderj@earthlink.net
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SB16 in 4.0

I have a soundblaster 16 card which works in linux and was working in
4.0-CURRENT and 5.0-CURRENT; and then the electricity went off. I could
not mount /usr so I saved /usr/local and /home while in linux with FBSD
mounted. I then installed 4.0-RELEASE and have not been able to get
sound working again with the same settings I had.

I have the SBC0 and PCM0 non-pnp lines from LINT in the kernel config.
Each one is using IRQ 9 and 0x15 flags. I've remade /dev a few times
and all the devices listed in MAKEDEV are there, as in DSP0, DSPw0,
SNDSTAT etc. On startup SBC0 and PCM1 on SBC0 are reported, with IRQ9
and DRQ 1, 5. I've tried IRQ 9 on PCM0 and 5 on SBC0 with no luck.Tried
0x0 flags on PCM0 and 0x15 flags on SBC0. Again no luck.

SNDSTAT reports Installed Devices PCM1... and the rest of the info
about PCM1 as described in /usr/src/sys/dev/pcm/sound.c

Running play always gives "sox:cannot open output file /dev/dsp device
not configured." Same thing for rec except then it's input file. If I
run the command "mixer" I get the "device not configured" stuff. xmms
also gives the 'not configured."

There must be something I'm not doing but I can't think of anything I
did differently when it was working.

I would like to learn what are the exact steps to configure sound if
different from what I've done.

Jim Binder