Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        bstewart@student.longview.cc.mo.us (Brian Stewart)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems compiling kernel

Brian Stewart wrote:

> All right,  I just switched my FreeBSD (2.1.5) machine from a 386 to a 486.
>  The problem that I keep running into is that when I try to do a make
> depend I keep getting this error in some form...
>
> /kernel.old: pid 863 (cpp), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> cc: internal compiler error: program cpp got fatel signal 11
>
> Any ideas or helpful hints?  I need to get this machine up and running on a
> stable kernel as soon as possible.  It
> runs the email for the entire student body.

	signal 11 is characteristic of hardware problmems, including
	memory and setting the bus speed to fast.

	can you tell us what you did?  not just remove teh 386 and insert
	a 486.  new motherboard?  new memory?  dos and windows do not
	stress components the way an operating system does.
	i am afraid that any success with either of those on the hardware
	in question, just does not count for much ;(

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/