Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      La Place <a_trans2001@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a single resource for small network basic security considerations

Dave,

the basic concepts are pretty simple..let me write you the steps.

1) Install freebsd 4.3
2) mkdir /backup; mv /etc/inetd.conf /backup/; touch /etc/inetd.conf
	- this removes the inetd.conf to a backup dir and creates a new file, everytime you want to run a
new service, just echo 1 line in /etc/inetd.conf and send sighup to inetd.  This way, if people
(superduper dumb kiddies) hacks you and echo an extra line in /etc/inetd.conf, you can tell right
away..because there areonly like 1 or 2 lines in the whole file now :).
3) use cvs or cvsup to update the SOURCE to -stable and PORTS
4) recompile the kernel and rebuild the binaries.  Make sure you enable IPFW in the kernel
5) You need a couple sysctl (/etc/sysctl.conf) settings :
	kern.ps_showallprocs=0
        net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
        net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

	the first line make sure that users can only see their OWN proc.
	the second line logs all connection attempt to unopened tcp/udp ports.
6) make ipfw block connection requests to every single service port that you don't run.
7) also block ICMP packets too...if you don't want to ping ur box from far away ;)
8) that is essentially it.  then update your src once a week or so for security patches and
stuff..
9) if you run ftpd, make sure you chroot each user, by adding their username to /etc/ftpchroot
10)  don't run unecessary services...restrict hostnames/users accordingly.
11) that is essentially it :)..it is quite simple to follow most of these steps..:))

have fun...

Bruce Dang