Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:36:47 -0500
From:      "Matthew Hagerty" <oldman@internet1.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PCI network card config

Greetings,

    I am trying to configure a generic PCI NE2000 compatible network card
on an Intel Venus MB with a Pentium-Pro 150.  The version of FreeBSD is
2.1.6. (from a CD-ROM).

    What should the device be?  I would assume ed0 since it is NE2000, but
how do I set the IRQ and base address?  The IRQ might change if I add or
remove any other PCI cards and there does not seem to be any way for me to
set the base address of the card (i.e. the set-up disk that came with the
card does not provide any way to view or set a familiar address such as
0x300h.)  I thought PCI cards did not need this type of set-up??  Can PCI
based NE2000 compatible cards be used with FreeBSD, or are only certain PCI
network cards supported?

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Matthew Hagerty
oldman@internet1.net