Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:48:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Carl Harris <ceharris@cns.vt.edu>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   Re: GUS PnP + 3.0-971022-SNAP help

> > I've been trying (rather unsuccessfully) to get the GUS PnP driver from
> > rah.star-gate.com to compile with the 3.0-971022-SNAP kernel sources.
> > I've tried every version I can find there, and not one of them compiles
> > without error.  The most recent version (guspnp23) complains that
> > PCM_ENABLE_INPUT and PCM_ENABLE_OUTPUT are not defined.

Turns out that the problem is that PCM_ENABLE_* defines are located in
sys/i386/include/soundcard.h which is not part of the guspnpXX.tar.gz
file.  I built a kernel with the sources that are distributed with
the 3.0-971022-SNAP, by simply replacing the soundcard.h with the copy
in -current, and by replacing sys/i386/isa/sound with the sources from
-current.

Next question.  Amancio's web page which describes the setup for using
full-duplex audio with vat4.0 is not available.  Can someone give me some
help in getting this to work?  I currently have only a /dev/audio0, and
as I recall, I need a /dev/audio1 as well.  I tried creating a /dev/audio1
with the same major/minor numbers as /dev/audio0, but this had no
discernable effect.

--
Carl Harris
Communication Systems Lead Engineer