Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:37:16 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless workstation

In message <200009210626.XAA02048@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}> In message <200009210609.XAA01851@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}> }
}> }I think this is correct, actually. Danny, can you confirm that you're
}> }using one of the class A address spaces (eg. 10.*.*.*?)
}> }
}> my net is class B. 132.65.0.0
}
}Gotcha.  What's your netmask?  I bet it disagrees one way or the other
}with the "canonical" netmask this code assumes.
it's the host part 132.65.80.247, the 247 is 0xF7 and hence class C :-)
my netmask is 255.255.0.0 for the time being till we go vlan.

}
}> }Actually, IMO the code around this is entirely wrong; we should always
}> }respect the mask supplied by the server, and only use the canonical mask
}> }if we don't get one at all.
}> }
}> my man!
}>
}> im cleaning up bootp and will let you know.
}
}You could make yourself *really* popular and teach it about DHCP, you
}know. 8)
}
what have you in mind? it already knows some DHCP, the leasing stuff is
yet a gray area with me (i dislike it totaly, but then i own a class B ;-)
i've added hostname though. suggestions?

on a different subject, but related:
on my nfsroot client, im now stuck - again -, ls -ls /dev/null shows
strange minor/major: 0, 0x00020002   instead od 2,2
which of course ruins rc.diskless.
the same filesystem when accessed by another fbsd4.1S (no nfsrooted) is ok.
hints?

	danny