Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:40:06 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.x, NIS, local root password, and nsswitch.conf

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:07:34 -0500 (EST) Mark Hennessy <mark@cloud9.net>
wrote about Re: FreeBSD 6.x, NIS, local root password, and nsswitch.conf:

MH> I'm a bit unsure about it myself.
MH> I tried exactly what you suggested, putting files on the compat line
MH> and before nis for both passwd and groups on the NIS slave server
MH> only, and no go.  Perhaps it is the master server that actually
MH> controls this? I don't know.  Any further advice would be greatly
MH> appreciated.

Sorry to disturb, but I don't understand why you distribute the server's
root pw via NIS at all. Is it really shown by "ypcat passwd" on the
client? If so, how about removing it from the list of exported accounts?

The nsswitch.conf I'm using here looks like this:

group:          nis files
hosts:          files nis dns
passwd:         nis files

cu