Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12596: pidentd is unstable in 3.2 and 4.0

The following reply was made to PR ports/12596; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, green@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:08:43 +0200

 On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:40:12 -0400, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

 > > I can understand the stuck identd processes perhaps, from inetd, but.. I
 > > don't see how inetd can make identd return 'no user' when it shouldn't. :)
 >
 > I don't see that either. You will want to try one of two things:

 *grrr* What you can't see _can_ hurt you. Please don't let Brian's
 comments influence your willingness to try this with a working inetd.

 I just ran 10000 connections to my ident port and queried a valid
 socket/port pair, redirecting the output to a text file. Here's what I
 found:

 for i in `jot 10000 1` ; do
 	nc axl.noc.iafrica.com 113 <pair.in
 done > nc-ident.out
 wc -l nc-ident.out
    10000 ident.out
 sort nc-ident.out | uniq
 3237 , 11338 : USERID : UNIX :sheldonh

 I'm not saying that it's impossible that there are bugs in pidentd. I'm
 just saying that writing new code to replace it because you think that
 it has bugs that aren't there, instead of tracking down those bugs, is
 downright silly.

 Please try with a fixed inetd. If you still encounter problems, I'll be
 more than happy to help you resolve them. Your feedback will be very
 much appreciated.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.