Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:21:35 -0700
From:      "Carlos Andrade" <carlos@rjstech.com>
To:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   okay now  I am worried

The following has been in my log for a few days :
-x86 FreeBSD 4.2 machine (btw)
-logging in vain is turned on
-the only thing I am running is natd (gateway for our company) and very few
ports are specifically left open
-I do not allow inside traffic to go in to the outside nic (and vice versa)
to stop spoofing
-I specifically blocked ports 135, 139, 3389, 6667, 6668 cause nmap said
that they were responding or open for some reason.

(date) /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP 127.0.0.1:512 from 127.0.0.1:XXXX

where XXXX has been the following :
1389, 1396, 1523, 1530

sockstat -4 returns that the only thing open is natd
user 	command	pid	fd	proto	local_add	foreign_add
ROOT	natd		xxx	3	div4	*.8668	*.*
ROOT	natd		XXX	4	icm4	*.*		*.*

sockstat -6 returns nothing (since I am not running ip6)

sockstat -u returns :
cron, syslogd and natd

running ps -auwx | sort | uniq returns
buffdaemon, pagedaemon, swapper, syncer, my bash shell, init, natd, the tty
terminals, adjkerntz, syslogd, cron, and ps

reading up on the ports udp 512 is biff, but I am not running any mail
server.  The only mail I get is generated by daily reports in cron.

so am I crazy or ?

----
Carlos A. Andrade
IS Manager