Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 21:24:56 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current build

>===> ldd
>===> rtld
>===> ldconfig
>===> ldd
>===> rtld
>ld -o ld.so  -Bshareable -Bsymbolic -assert nosymbolic -nostdlib -L/u1/dest/usr/
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>lib mdprologue.o rtld.o malloc.o shlib.o md.o support.o sbrk.o -lc_pic -lgcc_pic
>
>ld: -lc_pic: no match
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>
>This is with DESTDIR pointing to a separate (clean) hierachy.

Apparently it is too clean.  libc_pic.a should already have been installed
in /u1/dest/usr/lib.

I saw similar problems when I tried making -nostdlib the default in
bsd.lib.mk and bsd.prog.mk.  Here rtld/Makefile shoots itself in the
foot by overriding the default `${PROG}' target to just add -nostdlib if
there is a DESTDIR (the default target already has -L${DESTDIR}/usr/lib).
It should set LDONLY and use the default target.

However, I think my problem was caused by cc -nostdlib breaking gcc's
support for crt0.a and libgcc.a.  It's not clear how bsd.prog.mk could
know about libgcc.a.

There is now a new problem handling /usr/libdata/gcc.  The path is not
affected by ${DESTDIR}.

Bruce