Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:09:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        lynch@bsd.unix.sh (Pat Lynch)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), alanpat214@earthlink.net (Alan Burnett), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new to BSD

> > Contact Doug Ambrisko (ambrisko@whistle.com).  He has been
> > working on IBM platform certification for use with FreeBSD.
> > Not that this does any good, advocacy-wise, without a
> > culturally neutral logo for IBM to put on the boxes, mind you.
>
> Terry,
> 	what kind of "culturally neutral" logo does this refer to, not
> knowing much about business apsects of things, but sort of like a
> "FreeBSD Certified" stamp?
>
> 	if this is needed, I am currently working on one piece of
> "branding" involving the Daemon, that I will be sending to Kirk as
> soon as I'm done with it for his approval, what kind of thing would
> be needed for this specific instance?
>
> 	I think I asked this once before, but it got lost in other
> conversations.

A monochrome text-only logo with the requisite (R) symbol and
legal release from Walnut Creek CDROM, the holders of the
trademark "FreeBSD".

The daemon is right out; even if he were politically correct
everywhere as "non-satanic" (esp. in Central and South America,
with a high population of traditional Catholics)... he has only
three fingers, being a US cartoon character, and is therefore
unacceptable in Japan as having potential links to the Yakuza,
where cutting off a finger is a pledge of loyalty and/or an
indication of repentance.  Even ignoring these links, "deformity",
such as polydactylism and/or missing parts is often taken as a
sign of just retribution for a wrong (karma, etc.).

One of the things that Whistle had to do for NTT to be able to
sell InterJets was to make the agents look like normal, undeformed
humans, instead of cute US style cartoon characters.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.