Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:16:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld

> >  * Unless you have an if_de.c using ethernet card...
> > We're not talking about the kernel.  That's not part of "make world".
>
> For once, Terry is actually right.  You can't build the world without
> __getcwd(), which only exists in a new kernel, which (if you need the
> de driver) you can't build without the new compiler.  (I ran into the
> former proble, but since it was on my laptop the latter didn't
> matter.)

The getcwd() is a bit more annoying; first off, it should really be
an fcntl() on a descriptor opened on the current directory; this
would let me get "path to root" for any directory simply by passing
a different fd to the thing.

Second, the library code should recognize ENOSYS and fall back, at least
in the static case.  For the shared case, one presumes that the program
will grab the shared library appropriate to the system, since the top
level library interface hasn't really changed, and this is therefore not
worthy of a major number bump.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---