Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:05:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Funny behavior in NFS

> On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > We're seeing some funny NFS behavior...
> >
> > Specifically, if a fileserver is reset or loses connectivity (ie: you get a
> > warning about "unreachable") any process which has a binary on that disk
> > is dead meat (vm errors).
>
> I have been working on improving the asynchronous i/o code in NFS and it
> is possible but not likely that my changes might affect this.  I will
> probably commit these changes tomorrow.

OK..

> > "soft" mounted disks can't be ^Cd out of a "df", for example (that should
> > work) and don't time out and fail.
> >
> > I am beginning to wonder if the "soft" switch is backwards!
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
>
> Don't you need the "intr" flag to be able to ^C out of an operation?  The
> "soft" flag gives up the operation after a number of retries but isn't
> necessarily interruptable

Yes, but you can sit with a "soft" mount for hours and it never times out..

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 32 Analog Prefixes, 13 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal