Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:36:04 -0700
From:      "Mark" <mw@lanfear.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Password Protecting Web pages with user names?

	Hello!

	This is MOSTLY FreeBSD related, so please forgive me if it's
slightly off topic :)

	we'd like to password protect (using PHP on Apache) some web
pages for a "customer's only" type section on the web site.

	we'd like to use the same user names and passwords that they use
to SSH in their web content (scp), which, of course, are in /etc.

	Can this be done, and if so, how?  If not, is this a really bad
idea, and why?  What other suggestions would people make for password
protection pages/portions of a web site?

	thanks much!
	mark.