Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 07:44:09 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Today's special: nessusd panics -CURRENT

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:29:57AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> >Ok, I see what's broken.  I don't know how you are out of witness's though.
> >We don't have enough types of mutexes for that to happen.  Try this patch:

<...>
> Since I didn't use the "-l" flag to patch, it didn't apply, so I did it
> by hand (and subsequently thought to check for whitespace issues).

Yes same with me:-)

> But the patch appears to work; I'm up & running:

Well unfortunately no such luck. It solves the first part of the problem
(the "system call open retunrning with nutex(s) held" panic) but even after
applying the patch and toning down MAXUSERS to 32 (I suspected it might
be somewhat related) I still get the triple panic, which now looks like:

witness_get: witness exhausted
panic: witness_restore: lock (sleep mutex) Giant not locked

After 'c', it says (attempting to sync the disks)

witness_save: panic: lock (sleep mutex) Giant not locked

And finally after attempting to dump:

ata0: resetting devices: panic: lock (sleep mutex) Giant not locked

Here come the traces.

The third trace also contains the first and the second a bit further down.

The third trace:

Debugger
panic
witness_save
mawait
ata_command
ad_reinit
ata_reinit
addump
dumpsys
boot
panic            => From here is part of the second trace too.
witness_save
boot
panic            => From here this is the first trace too.
witness_restore
msleep
vm_pageout
fork_exit
fork_trampoline

So basically the first trace is:

Debugger
panic
witness_restore
msleep
vm_pageout
fork_exit
fork_trampoline

And the second:

Debugger
panic
witness_save
boot
panic
witness_restore
msleep
vm_pageout
fork_exit
fork_trampoline

This problem *only* appears when running nessusd. Any other app I tried
(including X) runs fine.

If you need more info let me know.

--
Regards: