Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:33:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Zdenko Tomasic <zdenko@CS.UH.EDU>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6-->3.0.x upgrade with da screw-up

In my upgrade attempt from 2.2.6 (via 2.2.8) to 3.0.x, I managed to
compile and tried rebooting the new kernel, but I forgot to
make new scsi da devices and change /etc/fstab
accordingly. Naturally, I could not boot the new kernel as my machine
has only scsi disks which were not accessible via da drivers.
After a number of attempts, I was able to boot older kernel (2.2.6)
via floppy boot and CDROM fixit option
and mount all partitions of my dangerously dedicated scsi disk.
Proc pseudo-filesystem would not mount, so I did not get to mulituser
level, but I could change anything on the disk.

I tried making da devices by executing  MAKEDEV in /usr/src/... tree
(not in /dev/MAKEDEV) with da targets (i.e.

(cd /dev; sh /usr/src/..../MAKEDEV da0 da1 da2 da3)

), but it did not work.
mknod apparently did not find da drivers complaining no such driver or
something like that.

Do I have to have the 3.0.x kernel running for this to work?
Is there a workaround with 2.2.6 kernel still?

tnx.