Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:27:35 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

on 18/01/2012 01:01 Adrian Chadd said the following:
> .. I'm replying to the OP because honestly, this thread has gotten a
> bit derailed.
>
> If you'd like to see:
>
> ... more frequent releases? then please step up and help with all the
> infrastructure needed to roll out test releases, including building
> _all_ the ports. A lot of people keep forgetting that a "release" is
> "build all the ports for all the supported platforms".
>
> ... longer lifecycle? Then please step up and contribute patches for
> features for your favourite branch. As a developer doing this in my
> spare time I'm only really working on new features on -HEAD and maybe
> backporting fixes to 9.x. What _I_ would like is someone to take on
> the task of testing and backporting net80211/ath fixes to 8.x and 7.x.
>
> ... longer branch lifecycle? Same as above. None of the developers are
> going to reject bugfixes and backported drivers to a legacy, stable
> branch. We may be a bit against the idea of porting entire new
> subsystems to legacy, stable branches - but if there's a good enough
> reason _and_ it's been tested _and_ there's a need for it - _I_
> wouldn't say no.

And another 2 cents from me: we also have this KPI/KBI stability policy for the
stable branches.  So if anyone would like to have a "stable" branch but with
some super wanted/needed/requested change added, then that would be a bit harder
to arrange.  I personally would call that a custom branch.  And that of course
can also be done, even as an "official" custom branch, but interested people
would need either to take the job upon themselves or find (motivate, interest)
those who would the job for them.

--
Andriy Gapon