Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:15:28 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>, "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com> types:
> A wise use of FreeBSD vs a hardware based firewall solution is to have
> the box performing additional tasks...  then I could justify the box.

I would call that a foolish use, not a wise one. A box is only as
secure as the least secure service it offers. Putting multiple
services on one box lowers the security of all but one of those
services. So either your "additional tasks" are now only as secure as
your firewall, or your firewall is only as secure as those
services. Neither of these situations is desirable.

richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> types:
> It is generally a rule of thumb amongst mechanical engineers that there is a
> direct proportion between the number of moving parts in a given device and
> the probability that it will cease working as a result of these moving parts.

Among EEs of my acquaintance, the rule is applied to parts, not simply
moving parts. I once had one decide that a wall socket for the
ethernet was a bad idea, because it was an additional failure
point. So they didn't use any...

> ('The Screensavers'. What is this? The made-for-TV action drama based on the
> fish tank? :-)

It's a video advice column for the cpulost.

	<mike