Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd & xcdplayer

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Mike Pritchard wrote:

> I've noticed something peculiar over the past week or so with
> xntpd and I think xcdplayer (from ports).  I am running xntpd
> to keep my clock right.  I have an always on DSL connection,
> so I almost never see any output from xntpd.
>
> However, I've noticed that the past few times I've started
> playing a CD with xcdplayer, I get the following out of xntpd:
>
> Oct 27 04:10:44 mpp xntpd[153]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

These are pretty normal on busy systems o rsystems with seriously screwed
clocks.

> Which is somewhat odd, because the last message from xntpd about
> adjusting the time was over 13 hours ago (and it was a 0.129016 s
> adjustment).

xntpd only logs time steps, not the fractional clock slewing it does
constantly.  The full steps shouldn't really happen once you're synched,
but we all know that PC clocks leave something to be desired.

> Normally I ignore whatever xntpd tells me, unless it reports
> a large time difference.  But, tonight when I was checking my mail
> and decided to listen to a CD while doing so, I got the
> "Previous time adjustment..." message right away after starting to
> play the CD.  And after thinking back, it seems to me that I see
> more of around the time when I'm playing CDs, so it seems like the two
> might be related.

(IDE) CD activity tends to suspend interrupts for an excessive amount of
time.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org