Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:20:47 +1000
From:      Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
To:        William Leeson <leesonw@pc458.cs.tcd.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: undefined reference in system header

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 01:16:49PM +0200, Raymond Wiker wrote:
> > William Leeson writes:
> >  > Hi all,
> >  >
> >  > 	I am not sure if this is the correct mailing list or not but
> >  > here goes anyway. I have been tring to port LAM a MPI implimentation I
> >  > use to FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 13 12:16:47 IST 2000 (It use to
> >  > compile just fine on 3.4) anyway I have come up with a problem. The is
> >  > a macro used in one of the system include files socket.h called
> >  > ALIGN() anyway the compliler fails to resolve this reference does
> >  > anyone know where this macro (I presume it's one because of the case)
> >  > resides. Is this a bug in my current version (I am currently CTMing
> >  > the sources down just in case) of FreeBSD. Any help regarding this
> >  > issue would be appreciated.
> >
> > 	/usr/include/machine/param.h, perhaps?

	Applications should include sys/param.h rather than machine/param.h.

> > 	//Raymond.
> >
> > --
> > Raymond Wiker
> > Raymond.Wiker@fast.no
>
> Thanks that solved the problem, everything seems to work fine now. However sh
> ould this file not be included from within socket.h rather than having to inc
> lude it in my code. It just seems a bit strange that's all or am I just being
>  stupid.

	No, you are not being stupid.  The lack of an appropriate include
	is a portability issue.  FreeBSD is the only platform that requires
	{sys,machine}/param.h to be included to use CMSG_DATA.

	Also it is not documented as being required by either recvmsg() /
	sendmsg(), those being the two related system calls.

	Mark

> Thanks
> 	Willy B^)

Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.