Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:20:38 +0100
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up the CDDL import mess

On 7 Jul 2010, at 15:12, John Baldwin wrote:

> I think it should be fine to remove vendor-cddl.  It would be useful =
to get
> the ZFS bits the correspond to our current ZFS bits committed into the
> vendor/opensolaris and vendor-sys/opensolaris trees and to sync up the =
merge
> info.
>=20
> However, one caveat with the ZFS bits is that we may want to keep ZFS =
and
> DTrace independent in that you don't want to have to force an upgrade =
of ZFS=20
> just to get newer DTrace bits and vice versa.  In that sense, it may =
make=20
> sense to store the vendor DTrace and ZFS bits in separate trees.  I'm =
not sure=20
> how practical that is (e.g. if they share common code).

ZFS doesn't use any code in the vendor area. It's all imported "by hand" =
in Perforce and then merged to HEAD, "by hand" too. So, unless the ZFS =
team wants to start using real vendor imports instead of what they have =
been doing, there's no such problem as "common code".

If you are advocating that we should do a vendor import of ZFS, I agree. =
If you're just saying that you want to fix the mergeinfo in ZFS, that is =
not going to be enough because most of the ZFS code is in HEAD, not in =
the vendor branch.

Regarding DTrace, a lot of it has been copied to HEAD without a proper =
vendor import, but some of bits were vendor imported, as you may know.

What I really wanted to see for DTrace was a real vendor import of all =
the necessary DTrace code, merged all to cddl/contrib and then we would =
edit cddl/contrib to port DTrace to FreeBSD (since DTrace is already =
ported, we would just copy the stuff outside cddl/contrib to =
cddl/contrib).
As an example, consider the DTrace module. We have sys/cddl/contrib with =
several headers and whatnot, but the real code lives in =
sys/cddl/dev/dtrace. This is not how we have been doing vendor branches =
with other external contributions.=20

Of course it may be too late now.

Regards,
--