Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:07:06 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Yury Yaroshevsky <yk@info.dgtu.donetsk.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE - also freeze :((( [see crashe 3.1-RELEASE ...]

On Sat, Mar 6, 1999, Yury Yaroshevsky put this into my mailbox:
> Hi All!
>
> 03.03.99 I'm wrote about freeze 3.1-RELEASE after starting this script :
>
> -------- cut here -------
> #! /bin/sh
>
> for j in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> do
> echo -n $j
> nohup sh -c 'while :; do find / -type f |xargs fgrep fticom; done' >/dev/null
>  2>&1 &
>  echo
> done
> ------------------------
>
> At next day I'm upgrade my 3.1-R box to 3.1-S, but without visible effects.
> After 2-3 min perfoming this script, my box can't start any processes.

   Take a real good look at what you're doing.

   For each number out of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10:

   * You spawn one process.
   * It continually spawns more and more processes, sticking them
into the background.

   This is shooting yourself in the foot.  What do you plan on
doing with that, anyway?

   (This will exceed the max process limit very quickly.)