Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:02:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   speak_freely 6.1c problem

Problem: sfmike core dumps when activated with the
space bar and sfspeaker does the same when another
system initiates a connection.

Message:
 Talk:   SNDCTL_DSP_NONBLOCK: Inappropriate ioctl for device
assertion "audiof == -1" failed: file "soundbyte.c", line 118
IOT trap (core dumped)

I posted once before to this group with this problem
and received the suggestion from several folks that
I upgrade to a later version of -current. I have done
that..to 3.0-971225-SNAP . I downloaded the latest
distfile and compiled it against the 971225 libraries.

This IOCTL appears to be in soundcard.h. BTW, why are
there 3 different soundcard.h files? There is /usr/include/machine/
soundcard.h, /usr/src/sys/i386/snd/soundcard.h and /usr/src/sys/include/
soundcard.h.

The sound card is a SB 16, non-plug and play.

The only other app that causes any problem is the Real Audio
3.0 encoder. Encoding directly from mic or line input dumps core.
Recording a raw file, then raencoding that works fine.
Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for reading...

Jim Durham

Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>
  <Web:http://www.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>; <Packet:W2XO@W2XO.#SWPA.PA.USA.NOAM>