Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:14:23 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.3-R sysinstall does not "see" disks that are recognized during boot

On 18/04/2012, at 7:32, Andy Dills wrote:
> I've got a new supermicro server I'm trying to get FreeBSD on. It uses =
the=20
> Intel c602 chipset, and it's my understanding that support for that=20
> chipset (c60X) was recently added via the isci driver. Ok, great, that=20=

> explains why 8.2-R and 9.0-R didn't see the drives.
>=20
> So, I grabbed the memstick image of 8.3-RELEASE that is on the ftp =
server,=20
> booted it up, and sure enough, as the dmesg scrolls I see it now =
properly=20
> recognizes da0 and da1, as it should (the memstick is da2). It sees =
the=20
> disks fine at this point, everything looks good.
>=20
> However, once the system finishes booting and loads into sysinstall, =
and I=20
> go to partition the drives, I get "No disks found! Please verify that =
your=20
> disk controller is being properly loaded at boot time".
>=20
> Any suggestions for avenues to troubleshoot this?  I have pictures to=20=

> document if it helps.
>=20
> Seems very odd. I confirmed the behavior with the SATA set to IDE, =
AHCI,=20
> and RAID modes. (The drives were recognized as da0 and da1 during =
bootup=20
> in all three modes, but not by sysinstall.)

That does seem very odd - if they appear as daX then sysinstall should =
see them.

Can you go into the holographic shell (or livecd if you have it) and =
run..
echo /dev/da*
echo >/dev/da0
echo >/dev/da1

(this will trash the first sector of da0 and da1 but I assume that's OK =
since you're installing on those).

If you could obtain a KLD for isci built for 9.0 you could load it in =
the loader and see if that installer sees it, you might not have the =
facilities for that though..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum