Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:28:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI project progress report - Nov.

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:

> 5. AML interpreter implementation
>   We've just started based on Doug Rabson's acpitest program, but
> parsing AML and managing objects in the name space are almost
> finished.  We're going to make configuration utility first with AML
> interpreter in the userland, then move it to kernel space after brush
> it out.
> Please see
> http://www.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ACPI/util/acpiconf?cvsroot=freebsd-jp

This sounds very promising. I will check out the code soon and try to give
feedback. Creating the ACPI namespace is a necessary first step before its
possible to do full AML interpreting.

> In the beginning of this project, we thought merging them to
> 4.0-RELEASE would be very much exciting, but it seems the codes are
> still young to merge and 4.0-RELEASE feature freeze is comming soon.
> We will try another chance, hopefully we have AML interpreter in
> kernel space at that time.

I think we should aim to do most of the work in 5.0 after we branch off
4.0. Perhaps some of it can be back-ported after it become stable in 5.0.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com