Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:04:55 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

On 1999-Nov-19 15:37:34 +1100, Barrett Richardson wrote:
>How about pseudo-random data? Aren't the passes with random data just
>a little extra icing?

As I understand the recovery techniques, it's irrelevant because
the difference between the current data and the previous generation
is quite clear (otherwise the normal read wouldn't work).  This
means you can immediately extract the pattern used to perform
the over-write (whatever it is) and subtract an idealised version
of it to leave you with the underlying data/

>Also, will my system choke if I mmap a 250 MB file on a system
>with 32 MB of ram?

Nope.

Peter