Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:20:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hennessy <mark@cloud9.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Password Authentication question

If I'm sending to the wrong list, please direct me to the list I should be
sending this question to.

I'm using FreeBSD version 4.5 and NIS.

This application is to run on my NIS Master Server.

I am trying to create an application that uses my existing passwd file to
authenticate users via a web form.  The user that the web server is
running its threads as is of course NOT root.  I have tried getpwnam and
getpwuid in Perl, and the results returned for the password is "*" and not
the crypted password.  I have tried Authen::PAM, but I cannot get it to
work under FreeBSD 4.5 and for reasons outside of my control, it is not an
option for me to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.7.  I was wondering if there might
be any other alternative to perform the authentication test that does not
involve sending password information cleartext across a network.  I know
it creates a potential security risk, and I would try to build any
necessary checks into my application to try to reduce the risk.

--
 Mark P. Hennessy					      mark@cloud9.net