Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:37:06 +0100
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How I can delete a boot manager?

  On Mar 02 at 16:49, Anatoliy Dmytriyev spoke:

> Hi, everybody!
>
> I have the small problem with FreeBSD boot manager: my system has 2 hard
> drives (1st with Windows NT, and 2nd with FreeBSD). On my boot hard
> drive I installed FreeBSD boot manager, but after selecting FreeBSD
> system I get new menu of boot manager. I think I did mistake and
> installed  boot manager also on the FreeBSD disk.

I don't know whether the Freebsd boot manager can boot NT.
Afaik it can't directly boot an OS from the second disk. It can
however chain to the boot manager that's located in the MBR of the
second disk. If this is also a Freebsd boot manager that one should
be able to boot Freebsd on the second disk.

> My problem: I don't know how I can to delete one.

If Freebsd is the only OS on the second disk I'd leave that one.

If you see `DOS' as an option in the boot manager of the first disk,
this is probably the NT one. Have you tried that?

I can't tell you how to restore the NT masterboot record on the
first disk.  Probably with the tree installation floppy and the
emergency floppy.  At some point you have four options. Pick the
right one.

-Hanspeter