Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:45:41 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dialin PPP: trouble getting started

Hello,

I am in the final stages of converting a local company over from a Windows
NT / Back Office type setup to FreeBSD 4.2.  The final step is allowing
remote Windows 95/98 clients to dialin using PPP and becoming part of the
LAN.

The gateway has a 56K modem on /dev/cuaa0 as the permanent uplink.  It has
a 33K modem on /dev/cuaa1 ready for dialin.  I have read the Handbook, and
a number of FAQs and How-To's from various sources, and it seems there is
more than one way to solve this problem -- what I can't determine is which
method is suitable for this setup.

Basically, I need to know whether I point getty to the device
via /dev/ttyd1 in /etc/ttys, whether I run /usr/sbin/ppp (in addition to
the /usr/sbin/ppp that's already running for the uplink) with a different
entry in ppp.conf, or whether I run /usr/sbin/pppd.  Once I get moving in
one of these directions, there seems to be enough documentation out there
to get me going.  Can anyone give me headstart on this?

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net
mailto:paul.hoadley@student.adelaide.edu.au