Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:38:08 -0400
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to diagnose system freezes?

Yuri writes:
> One of my 9.1-BETA1 systems periodically freezes. If sound was playing,
> it would usually cycle with a very short period. And system stops being
> sensitive to keyboard/mouse. Also ping of this system doesn't get a
> response.

So the sound continues, on and off, while everything else freezes?
I would suspect that the sound device driver is locking out other
devices and hogging the system.

WHY does FreeBSD allow one device driver to lock out out everything
else? And what can we do about it? I've seen a device driver lock
out everything else for minutes-on-end, which of course resulted
in data being lost. Losing data is one of the worst things an OS
can do. This needs to be fixed.