Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:53:19 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Am Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:43:06 +0100
> schrieb Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>:
>=20
>> So, my work surprise for a Thursday morning is an urgent requirement
>> to see if we can run a set of FreeBSD machines under virtualised
>> servers. I have not done this before personally, but I notice from
>> post here that it doesnt seem uncommon, and I see Xen related commits
>> flowing past, so I am guessing it is doable.
>>=20
>> So, for running 8 or 9 STABLE can anyone recommend which hypervisor
>> works best, and is 8 or 9 better as the OS to run ? Am doing a bit
>> of research myself, but nothing beats persoanl experience in these
>> matters!
>=20
>=20
>=20
> AFAIK, there are no VMware-tools for FreeBSD9 (yet).
> So, if you need to use ESXi/vSphere, then stay with 8.3 for the time
> being.

You can use the open-vmtools package which is in ports .

> There are KVM-drivers for FreeBSD 8.3 and 9.0 in the ports.
>=20
> Also, full, native support for MSFT-HyperV is coming to FreeBSD9.
>=20
> I wouldn'd bother with the free VMware-server.

Agree here it's very slow compared to all of the others .=20

>=20
> AFAIK, the latest vcenter has a web-console, so you don't need a
> Windows VM just to manage your virtualized FreeBSD instances.
> Hopefully, someone else will have to do all the heavy-lifting of
> maintaining all the virtualization-infrastructure.
>=20

VMware with vsphere server , another product , seperate from esxi, provides a=
 web based console but I still use the windows desktop tool , as it works mo=
re consistently then the web tool. =20