Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:46:22 -0500
From:      daniel quinn <freebsd@danielquinn.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   curl -- authentication buffer overflow vulnerability.

i ran my daily portaudit today and got the following:

portaudit
Affected package: curl-7.12.3_2
Type of problem: curl -- authentication buffer overflow vulnerability.
Reference:
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/96df5fd0-8900-11d9-aa18-0001020eed82.html>;

1 problem(s) in your installed packages found.

You are advised to update or deinstall the affected package(s) immediately.

so i ran:

  # cvsup ports-all

...and watched it refresh the tree.  then i ran:

  # portupgrade curl

and nothing happened.  i went looking around and found that the port hasn't
been updated:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/ftp/curl/

so my question is:  "is this normal"?  i'm new to freebsd (formerly gentoo
linux) and i'm not used to security warnings that can't be fixed right away.
curl's website tells me that version 7.13.1 is available, so i'm thinking
this is isolated to freebsd.  should i be emailing the maintainer?  isn't
that rude?  what are my options here?

--
what a country calls its vital economic interests are not the things which
enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to make war.