Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2020 13:21:22 +0000
From:      Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>
To:        Anthony Pankov <ap00@mail.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is there a future for user accounting (getpw* replacement)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 12:56, Anthony Pankov wrote:

<snip>

> > I think it's dangerous to conflate *application* users with *system*
> > users, why would you want to do that in the first place?
>
> That is the question!
>
> First  of  all, I think there was no technical opportunity to conflate
> applications  and  system  users at least because uid_t is 65535 max and
> lack of custom user properties.
>
> I can note some Cons for splitting *application* and *system* users:
>
> -  users  of  one application is not a users of another application by
> design. Applications is hard to integrate (yes, there is ldap but...);

... and SASL, and PAM (if you really have to)... and Federation (if
you really-really have to)... Why should the OS be "Application
Aware"?

> - each  application  has  own accounting implementation which enlarge
> attack surface. Furthermore, application developers do not really want
> to  implement  any  user  accounting  parts because it is far away from
> application   functioning.   As   a  result  it  usually  implemented
> "somehow".

You speak of enlarging the attack surface, but that attack surface is
limited to the single application (or a badly designed collaboration
of several)! You do realise that if one were to have a universal
"user" awareness, then one compromised account exposes the whole
system?! The problem you describe seems to be the "lazy app
developers" who can't be bothered to do things properly and want to
palm off what is essentially the application logic down to the layer
below.

> -  applications  users  are  out  of  system  control.  There is a system
> users,   application   users,   and   daemons.  It seems there  is  no
>  chance   to  do  the  thing  really  right  in mean of access control
>  of entire system (OS +applications).

If the application users are out the system control, then application
users cannot interfere with the system, and that sounds like a very
sound design! ;-)

Best,

--
Igor M.