Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 12:51:14 -0400
From:      Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot@vtr.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5LD2 motherboard won't boot from HD

Hi Aaron,

> I'm a newbie and I just built my first computer. I successfully loaded
> FreeBSD 6.0 from CD; however, the computer seems to think the CD-ROM is a
> hard drive and is trying to boot from that.

This question would be best on questions@freebsd.org. Your problem is not
about a faulty driver in the system but rather sounds like a boot manager
issue.

Actually, the anwer is on your problem description: try to swap the IDE cables
to have your 2 disks on the primary controller and the CD/DVD on the
secondary. The HD boot manager is taken from the first disk found (it will
try in sequence Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary
Slave). The CD has a valid boot sector so the PC won't look any further.

Let us know if this helps

Cheers
Olivier
--