Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:28:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcp/ip over lp0

Nate Williams writes:

[ Argh, I hit send before I meant to.  Sorry ]

> > That's a *really* long cable.  Also, *MAKE SURE* that neither machine
> > has another device using it's interrupt, and that there is a driver for
> > all hardware that generate interrupts.
> >
> > If you happen to use the commonly-used IRQ 7 for the parallel port and
> > something other than the parallel port either generates interrupts on 7
> > or one another unregistered port you'll have lots of problems.
> >
> > Make sure both machines have don't have IRQ conflicts and shorten the
> > cable.
> >

> i tried another shorter cable and it's the same - so it must be the
> controller - can some bios settings or things like AUTO_EOI* or
> DUMMY_NOOPS have any influence ?

The BIOS settings could affect it, but I doubt the kernel setting would.

> - as far as i'm aware of all interrupts are correct set (ok i
> think nearly all are used - serial: 3,4,9(2), parallel: 7, ethernet: 5,
> sound: 11, ide controllers: 14,15 - should'nt i get something like stray
> interrups if something is wrong ? will this help you ?

The parallel controller would 'swallow' them, so you wouldn't see them,
except that lpt0 wouldn't work very well. :(

> graichen@mordillo:~> vmstat -i
> interrupt      total      rate
> clk0 irq0      212749       99
> rtc0 irq8      272238      127
> fdc0 irq6           1        0
> wdc0 irq14      20300        9
> mcd0 irq10          1        0
> vt0 irq1         9619        4
> sio0 irq4        6251        2
> sio3 irq9       53109       24
> ed0 irq5            1        0
> Total          574269      269
>
> there's no irq 7 to see - but i haven't used it until the vmstat -
> does the lptcontrol -p/-i affect the lp0 device too or is it always
> using the interrupt version ?

It affects it.  Also, I'm not sure the lpt0 device actually registers
the interrupts. :(

> do you have any idea ? - i'll try to experiment further.

I still think it's a misconfigured IRQ and/or a parallel port that's not
setup correctly.  (In the BIOS see if you can set it to 'extended' or
some other setting).

Nate