Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10959: 3.1-STABLE crashes due to a floppy mount problem

The following reply was made to PR kern/10959; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

 bde> The good news is that you found a new bug :-).  Rev.1.196 of vfs_bio.c
 bde> causes lots of problems by arranging for writes to be retried forever

 Using UFS instead of MSDOSFS leads to an (a) inability to unmount the
 floppy and (b) and endless series of retried writes to the floppy.
 No panic, though.

 jk> (a) at what point should we attempt to detect read-only media?

 bde> Before opening it read-write.  Detection on every i/o is still required
 bde> since removable media may become read-only (not to mention inaccessible)
 bde> between i/o's.

 Another point is that retrying writes in the presence of removable media
 is risky as the physical media could have been changed under us.  We will
 need to check for a media change before attempting a read or write too.

 Regards,
 Koshy
 <jkoshy@freebsd.org>