Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:27:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        systech@maui.net
Cc:        Arthur Kelly <arthur@sevenkings.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: high load averages on mail server

Most of the load from popds I'm aware of is from the daemon duplicating
the mail file at the start of the "mail check". With big mailboxes that
can be very expensive. There may be a popd that handles things more
efficiently or you may need to go to a maildb instead of the
/var/mail/files. That would both reduce the wasted effort and make pruning
much simpler. I'd be surprised if someone here doesn't know an easy fix.
If not you might bounce your question off the freebsd-isp list. Yours is a
common situation in isp land... I'm just out-of-date enough there to be
dangerous.

Not A POP fan...
Dave