Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 03:09:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Nicole H." <nicole@mediacity.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: detecting packet sniffers

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

> "Nicole H." wrote in message ID
> <Chameleon.870081818.nmh@geekgirl>:
>

> > Does anyone know of a good way to detect people "sniffing" on the
> >  network? IE a program that will detect a machine running in
> >  promiscuous mode?
>
> There is no way to detect that from outside the machine ... after all,
> its just listening to all the packets that go past.
>
> FreeBSD 2.2 and later log a message to console when an interface goes
> into promiscuous mode.

I was under the impression from reading various product literatures that a
trend in the industry is beginning...whereby packet sniffers will
periodically send "tokens" on the wire identifying that XYZ PacketSniffer
was being used.  There was an NT/SunOS commercial security application I
saw a few weeks ago which claimed to be able to detect some (not all) other
sniffers on the wire...I just can't remember where I saw it.  Time to go
digging through my archives ;)
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions