Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 18:53:52 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:41:55AM +0900, Eugene M. Kim wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm having some hard time getting a machine upgraded from 3.3-stable to
> 4-stable.
>
> src/UPDATING says I would have to recompile the kernel before trying to
> make world (my system was built before the S-day).  However, when I try
> to compile the kernel (and modules), by doing `make kernel' in src, I
> get two types of errors:
>
> * -mpreferred-stack-boundary, used in bsd.kern.mk, is unrecognized by
> the compiler installed in the system.  This can be worked around by
> commenting out the offending option from bsd.kern.mk.
>
> * Then, while compiling sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s, as complains it has
> seen an invalid x86 assembler instruction on the *standard input* (i.e.
> does not say exactly where it has).
>
> Judging from the above, it seems that the system compiler has to be
> upgraded first (i.e. make depend all install in src/gnu/usr.bin/cc and
> src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as at least).  But, as said above, my system
> was built before the S-day, so I'm afraid if there'd be any side effect
> caused by doing so.
>
> Could anyone shed a light on this?

You will probably have to do the upgrade in several steps:
First upgrade to 3.5-STABLE
Then go to 4.1-RELEASE
And then to 4.3-STABLE

And read src/UPDATING from the version you are updating to.
I think the above sequence should cause the smallest amount of
problems.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson