Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:38:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ??? (fwd)

> People committing to -current need to get their acts together and stop
> destabilising it so much.

Prior to 2.1 going gold a free for all in the 2.2 tree was perfectly ok.
The strategy of having a stable platform (2.1) has served us very well and
a lot of new people are trying it out.

Now that 2.1 has gone gold, the time is probably right to start a freeze on
the goals for 2.2 functionality and 2.2 performance improvement.  ** I didn't
say freeze - I said start-to-freeze-the-goals!! **  heh

We will have many people who after playing with 2.1 will go ahead and try to
bring down 2.2 out of curiosity.  This is part of the fun of FreeBSD, that
you can get the newest version and play with it.  I would actually consider
it a sign of (FreeBSD 2.1) success if enough satisfied consumers tried to
look at 2.2!

The danger is that they might see a lot of problems with it and loose some
confidence.  I didn't worry about this prior to 2.1's release because 2.1
*was* the next version.  Since 2.1 has been released the next version is
assumed to be 2.2 by default (I realize we might have a 2.1.5).

Perhaps we need a 2.1-stable, 2.2-performance, and a 2.3-boom :-)  2.3-boom
could be the new wild west :-)  I know there is a disk space issue.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Netcom/Dallas
bugs@freebsd.netcom.com