Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:25:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Could use a favor

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, David Nugent wrote:

> I'm familiar with the theory of firewalls, but have never run
> one so I lack the experience to fully understand this. But this
> reply caught my attention.
>
> Why is an (effectively) disabled firewall "dangerous"? Is it more
> "dangerous" or exposed to security problems than a machine that
> has been configured without a firewall at all?
>
> It's just that it seems that limited firewalls are quite usful -
> particularly for port redirection and so forth, and in particular
> for preventing outgoing and incoming spam-email abusers. If
> putting the firewall in place without being full enabled is
> "dangerous", then I certainly want to know just how dangerous
> that is before I go ahead and do it.

I think it is simply a matter of if you configure IPFIREWALL into the
kernel and then believe you are protected, then it is dangerous.  Ugen's
ipfw originally had default policy open; Poul-Henning changed this to
closed when he did a code revamp.  I think Poul-Henning has done the
right thing, but it is a bit confusing when one meets a "Permission
denied" error when trying to ping another machine.  Hence my submission
of some minor mods to netstart and sysconfig which tell the user
what s/he has done wrong.

Danny