Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 1997 21:15:33 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        ade@demon.net
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>, ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

In message <E0wujSG-00005W-00@genghis.eng.demon.net>, Ade Lovett writes:

>>It sounds to me like a lot of people should seriously reconsider if
>>they ought to run -current :-(
>

>This seems to be something of an oversimplification.  Whilst there
>are undoubtedly people who are much more likely to be better off
>running release (or perhaps -stable) code, there are quite a number
>of people who need features (SMP, for example) that are only present
>in -current.

You know, I actualle don't see that as an excuse for running -current,
but if you insist, at least don't try to use that kind of argument
for trying to turn -current into -stable, OK ?

>The problems come about when the base operating system contains
>components that really shouldn't be there at all.  TCL, Perl certainly
>fall into this category, and there's probably quite a bit else which
>would be better off in either ports, or an 'additions' package.

I consider "options" equally bad in protocols and operating systems.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.