Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:30:56 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VMware on FreeBSD (Full Screen)

I have done a little bit of experimenting in getting vmware to run in
full screen mode under "X".  I will go through my steps.  Link
"/dev/mouse" to "/dev/sysmouse", "/dev/tty0" to "/dev/ttyv0",
"/dev/tty1" to "/dev/ttyv1", "/dev/tty2" to "/dev/ttyv2", "/dev/tty3" to
"/dev/ttyv3", "/dev/tty4" to "/dev/ttyv4", and "/dev/tty11" to
"/dev/ttyv9" this last one only applies as listed if your kernel does
not support 11 virtual terminals.  Now, I do not have to specify
"DISPLAY=localhost${DISPLAY};export DISPLAY".  However, it complains
about not being able to initialize "DGA" which would be "Direct
Graphics" I believe.  Also it gives the following message in my text
virtual terminals "linux: 'ioctl' fd=7, cmd=541c ('T',28) not
implemented".  I suspect that this is a step in the right direction, but
I am not enough of a hacker to know for sure.. :-)

I will look into "DGA" more tommorrow night.  I think that I recall
seeing an error like that on redhat before I replaced my X server with a
special one, however, that is a long time ago.  Also, I blew away my
redhat installation so...

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com