Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 2015 03:34:38 -0700
From:      Don whY <Don.whY@gmx.com>
Subject:   PXE boot an XIP image?

Hi,

Apologies as to whether this belongs here... or on -embedded.  :<

I'd like to PXE boot a kernel then fetch (any choice of protocol)
a *single* image to load into RAM thereafter not requiring any
access to external media to operate.  I.e., as if the image
had resided in the device all along.

A crude approach *might* be something like crunchgen'ing init
with all of the (static linked) binaries that are required
and letting the loaded kernel NFS read (load) that init(1).
Obviously, I'd trim the kernel and other binaries down to the
bare essentials to minimize RAM requirements (as there would be no
swap, etc.)

[I.e., creating a tiny filesystem that simply links every executable
back to this *one* image]

In practice, this won't (?) really work as hoped.  Any pointers on
a proven technique to achieve these results?

Thanks!