Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:51:34 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@whacky.net>
Cc:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   post installworld cleanup (was Re: usr.sbin/pim6[sd]d will be removed soon.)

Stephan van Beerschoten wrote:

> Here's a quick question that just popped into my mind. I cvsup my -stable and my -current box every night and every once in a while I install a new world.
>
> What happens with a (previously installed) /usr/sbin/pim6[sd]d ? Will 'make (install)world' remove it ?
>  If not, what system is in place (if any) to accomplish this in order to get a really clean system ?
>
> Mm.. I feel VERY newbie-like by asking this, because I use FBSD over 3 years now, but I hope someone will help me out with an answer on this.
>
> With regards,
>  Stephan van Beerschoten

After installworlds I routinely do an ls -altr on "the usual suspects",
which for me include:

/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec and /usr/lib.

/usr/lib must be done carefully. If it matches (this is a regex)
lib\..*\.so\.[0-9]+ then you should move it into /usr/lib/compat rather
than delete it. Just deleting them will cause any programs in /usr/X11R6
or /usr/local that were linked against the old libraries to stop
working. /usr/libexec/ld.so* also sometimes appear to be out of date but
really aren't. One of them is the a.out ld.so and if you have 1.x compat
libraries loaded you will need to leave that file alone despite it
having a very old date.

Anything else that is older than the starting time of the last 'make
installworld' in these directories can probably be deleted.

For extra credit you can do this to /usr/share/man/man* as well. It also
may not be a bad idea to rm -f /usr/share/man/cat*/* to make doubly sure
that obsolete man pages don't show up.