Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:22:15 +1100
From:      Carey Nairn <Carey.Nairn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, Carey Nairn <cpn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE64 support ?

At 12:48 3/11/97 -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
>Carey Nairn:
> |Just a quick question to find out the status of support for Creative AWE64
> |sound cards in 2.2.5-RELEASE.  I noticed a commented line in the 2.2.2
> |LINT file as follows:

> |device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> |#device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
> |device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 vector gusintr
> |
> |Does this mean the card is not yet supported?
>
>Well the driver in there works, but the ports I submitted didn't appear in
>the ports tree.
>
>Check out:
>
>       http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv
>
>for an updated version of the driver that'll drop right in along with
>several cool tools to use with it.  Let me know if you have any questions.
>
>Note that since (I think) you have a PnP card, you'll also need to use the
>ISA PnP tools to get your card detected before the driver will find it:
>Have never used it myself, but the last path I have saved off for it is:
>
>       ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz
>
>Randall Hopper

Thanks for the info.  I have been using OSS/FreeBSD with the evaluation
license for the last few days but that seems to have some problems (most
notably crashing the machine if you unload the LKM).  I'll give your driver
a spin and see what happens.

I noticed that there is a new version (0.4.2) on the AWEDRV homepage.  Has
that one been ported yet or should I use the v0.4.0 port for now?

Incidentally, I got a URL for kernel pnp support as follows:

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

cheers,
Carey Nairn