Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:23:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Dan Trainor <dan@ript.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make release'

Dan Trainor wrote:

> Hey all
>
> I've posted a couple times, to no avail.  I'll ask again, maybe someone
> else will be listening :)
>
> Rather than D/L'ing a whole nother 4.5 ISO, I have been experimenting
> with 'make release'.  The idea is bad-ass in itself, unfortunately, I've
> found very little documentation on the subject.  I'm on a dialup, so a
> big ISO download such as 4.5-RELEASE would be a pain (although if I
> started the D/L at the time I started toying with 'make release' I'd
> probably have it by now... anyway).  I am thinking that I can use the
> sources of /usr/src, which are a collection of a 4.3 install CVSUP'd to
> 4.5-RELEASE.  Is it right to be thinking that, or am I going to have to
> snatch a whole CVS layout thing?

If you have a 4.5 /usr/src, then you have everything. The way I
understand a release you have to have built the version before you can
do the make release of the version. The upgrade to 4.5 is pretty much
4.5-stable from your level.

You don't need a whole cvs thing, it is over 1.5 GB at this point. You
need a tag=RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_5 source. I think Ruslan's crossbuild
upgrade fixes are only in RELENG_4.

A 181 MB mini-iso of 4.5-release would be much faster than the whole
cvs. The mini-iso might take 15 hours to download but a binary upgrade
may be much faster than anything you are contemplating.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA