Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:29:51 +0000
From:      Kachun Lee <kachun@zippo.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS/mmap freeze in 2.2R

At 02:06 PM 4/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> While you are at it, maybe, you want to check this out also. We noticed
we have
>> been getting these messages:
>>
>> -------------
>> Apr  8 23:21:12 lois /kernel: vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
>> Apr  8 23:21:12 lois /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware)
error,
>> ID 11987 failure
>> Apr  8 23:21:12 lois /kernel: pid 11987 (in.nnrpd), uid 7003: exited on
signal
>> 11
>> --------------
>>
>> since 2.2R or later with our NFS mounted news servers. They appeared at
>> the NFS clients during news was expiring at the NFS server. That leaded
>> me to believe that the message was triggered when someone was reading
>> an article while the NFS server removed it - both systems kept running
>> though.
>
>Are you running the INN msync() patch?  There is an error in the INN
>use of mapped files when the file is extended.  The problem occurs when:
>
>1)	The file is not a multiple of a page size in length
>2)	The file is mmap'ed, and the last page is zero filled
>3)	The file is extended
>4)	The mmap'ed area is accessed between the previous end of the
>	file and the page boundry following the end of the file, without
>	an intervening msync().
>
>This is a bug in INN's use of the mmap() interface, not a FreeBSD bug.
> [snip]

Thank you for the info. I did aware of the mmap active file issue.

I probably should not just tag on the NFS/MMAP thread. The problem I was
referring to was related to NFS/VM and not related to MMAP at all - nnrpd
(at least the one we are using) does not use MMAP to read articles or
overview file.

Best regards