Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 01:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        woodsb02@gmail.com
Cc:        fjwcash@gmail.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg(8) conflicts when install gnome3 - what are they?

On 16 Jun, Ben Woods wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 02:53:25PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > I have build gnome3 with my local poudriere instance, but when I try to
>> > install it pkg complains of conflicts.
>> >
>> > # pkg install gnome3
>> >                                        <[1526][23:35]]
>> > Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
>> > FreeBSD-base repository is up-to-date.
>> > Updating poudriere repository catalogue...
>> > poudriere repository is up-to-date.
>> > All repositories are up-to-date.
>> > Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
>> > Cannot solve problem using SAT solver, trying another plan
>> > Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
>> > The following 169 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>> >
>> > How can I determine what the conflicts are? Is there a way to tell pkg to
>> > be verbose and explain the conflict?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Ben
>> >

>> ???There's a -d / --debug option that can be passed.  Perhaps that will give
>> you the info you need.???
>>

>> --
>> Freddie Cash
>> fjwcash@gmail.com
>
> Thanks for the reply Freddie, I wasn't aware of that flag, because I was reading pkg-install(8) man page rather than pkg(8).
>
> However, unfortunately it doesn't reveal the conflict.
>
> # pkg -d install gnome3
> Password:
> DBG(1)[1860]> pkg initialized
> Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
> DBG(1)[1860]> PkgRepo: verifying update for FreeBSD-base
> DBG(1)[1860]> Pkgrepo, begin update of '/var/db/pkg/repo-FreeBSD-base.sqlite'
> DBG(1)[1860]> Fetch: fetching from: http://127.0.0.1/FreeBSD-base/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/meta.txz with opts "i"
> DBG(1)[1860]> Fetch: fetching from: http://127.0.0.1/FreeBSD-base/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz with opts "i"
> FreeBSD-base repository is up-to-date.
> Updating poudriere repository catalogue...
> DBG(1)[1860]> PkgRepo: verifying update for poudriere
> DBG(1)[1860]> Pkgrepo, begin update of '/var/db/pkg/repo-poudriere.sqlite'
> DBG(1)[1860]> Fetch: fetching from: http://127.0.0.1/poudriere/pkg/FreeBSD:11:amd64/meta.txz with opts "i"
> DBG(1)[1860]> Fetch: fetching from: http://127.0.0.1/poudriere/pkg/FreeBSD:11:amd64/packagesite.txz with opts "i"
> poudriere repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> DBG(1)[1860]> want to get an advisory lock on a database
> DBG(1)[1860]> found stale pid 1702 in lock database, my pid is: 1860
> DBG(1)[1860]> no concurrent processes found, cleanup the lock
> DBG(1)[1860]> want to get an advisory lock on a database
> Checking integrity...DBG(1)[1860]> check integrity for 299 items added
>  done (1 conflicting)
> Cannot solve problem using SAT solver, trying another plan
> Checking integrity...DBG(1)[1860]> check integrity for 169 items added
>  done (0 conflicting)
> [...]

It definitely would be nice if pkg was more helpful about this.

One thing to check is that your currently installed packages are up to
date.  I've gotten into similar situation when I've forgotten to run
	pkg upgrade
before doing
	pkg install

I think that what happens is if I have packages A and B installed, and B
depends on A, and if A has been updated to A' since A and B were
installed, then when I try to install C, which depends on A', then pkg
wants to delete A and install A', which makes in want to delete B as
well.  If I run pkg upgrade first, then A gets upgrade to A', and I
don't run into a problem when I then install C.